Eleven years in East Austin, and I can tell you the phone calls that make agents nervous almost always involve the same two things: foundation surprises and option period extensions. Usually both at once.
The option period is one of those things that sounds simple until you’re three days from the deadline and the inspector just flagged something that needs a structural engineer to look at. Suddenly you’re doing math on how much time costs, whether the seller is in a hurry, and who blinks first.
Let me walk through what I know from being on both sides of this — buyer twice, seller once, and a spectator plenty of other times from across the back fence.
What the Option Period Actually Gives You
In Texas, the option period is that window of time — typically somewhere between five and ten days in a standard residential contract, though I’ve seen buyers push for up to fourteen — where you can walk away for any reason and still get your option fee back. You don’t have to prove anything. You just terminate.
The option fee itself? Usually a few hundred dollars on a regular resale home, though on higher-priced properties it can climb. That money goes to the seller and they keep it regardless. It’s the price of having a door you can walk out of, no questions asked.
What it doesn’t give you is unlimited time. And that’s where extensions come in.
Can You Extend It? Yes. Here’s How
The short answer is: extensions are possible, they’re negotiated, and the seller doesn’t have to agree. Neither side is legally required to extend. This is a contract conversation, not a right.
Here’s the realistic way extensions tend to happen:
- Buyer’s agent reaches out early. Waiting until the last day is a bad look and puts the seller on edge. If you know Tuesday afternoon you need more time, you ask Wednesday morning.
- You put it in writing. A verbal agreement on an option extension is worth almost nothing. The amendment needs to be signed by both parties before the original deadline expires.
- There’s usually a fee. Sellers aren’t obligated to extend for free. An additional option fee — sometimes the same amount as the original, sometimes more — is typical. Think of it as renting extra days.
- The extension is specific. “A few more days” isn’t an amendment. You need a hard new date.
I’d also note: be careful about anything that looks like a handshake deal or a text confirmation. AI-generated forms and informal agreements have created real problems in Texas real estate — if it’s not a properly executed TREC amendment, you’re on shaky ground.
Why Sellers Say No (And When They Might Say Yes)
Sellers aren’t always the obstacle here. Sometimes they genuinely can’t give you more time — they’ve already signed on another property contingent on this one closing, or they have a lease ending, or they’re moving out of state in twelve days.
But a lot of sellers say no because no one explained why the extension was needed.
Here’s the difference between a request that gets turned down and one that doesn’t:
- Vague: “We just need a little more time.”
- Specific: “The inspector found potential pier and beam issues and we’ve got a structural engineer scheduled for Thursday. We’re asking for a three-day extension with an additional option fee of $150.”
The second version tells the seller this is a real concern, the buyer is being diligent, and there’s a defined end to the wait. That’s a much easier yes.
I’ve also seen sellers dig in when they felt like the buyer was stringing them out. If the house has been sitting — sixty, seventy days on market — the seller may feel like they finally have a contract and they don’t want to give the buyer an easy exit ramp. That’s understandable, honestly.
Buyer Versus Seller Situations: Who Has Leverage?
This is where local market conditions matter more than any FAQ can fully account for. What works in a slow zip code doesn’t work three miles over where everything is under contract in a weekend.
| Scenario | Extension Leverage |
|---|---|
| House has been on market 45+ days | Buyer has more room to ask |
| Multiple offers received | Seller may refuse; buyer should decide fast |
| Major structural issue flagged | Seller usually cooperates — they’d rather fix it than re-list |
| Cosmetic-only concerns | Seller less likely to extend; may push buyer to decide |
| Seller already moved out | Slightly more flexibility; holding costs motivate cooperation |
It’s also worth knowing that sellers sometimes have their own questions about what happens during the option period — like whether they can even require earnest money and the option fee to be deposited before allowing access. That’s a real point of confusion, and it trips people up.
A Few Things I’d Tell a Friend Sitting Across My Kitchen Table
Don’t wait until day seven of a seven-day option period to schedule your inspector. I know that sounds obvious, but people do it constantly — they lock up the contract, life gets busy, and suddenly it’s Thursday.
Get your inspector in on day one or two if you can. If anything comes back that needs a specialist — foundation, HVAC, electrical panel, that mysterious room addition without permits — you’ll have room to schedule follow-up without panicking.
And if you’re the seller: an extension request isn’t always a bad sign. Sometimes it means the buyer is being thorough and genuinely wants to close. A flat refusal when someone has a real engineering concern can push them to terminate outright, and then you’re back to square one, relisting and explaining why the deal fell through.
The extension conversation is awkward for everyone. But it’s a lot less awkward than a transaction that blows up on the closing table over something that could have been handled with three extra days and a signed amendment.